141 Flight School

There are two types of flight training schools: certificated “Part 141 School” and “Part 61 School.”

Cornerstone Aviation is certified to train under both sets of regulations. Part 61 is an older set of FAA regulations governing flight training. Basically, it spells out what you need to know, what flying skills you must develop, and a minimum number of training and solo flight hours. Any flight instructor can teach under Part 61, doing what he or she feels is appropriate in your training as long as the training minimums are met. Most schools operate under part 61 and do not meet the requirements of Part 141.

A Part 141 School, like CSA, on the other hand, has been granted a unique Air Agency Certificate by the FAA, used to ensure safety and training standardization.

Part 141 was established to actually certify flight schools and develop and establish standardized training methods. To quote the FAA, “Enrollment in a certificated Part 141 school ensures higher quality and continuity of training.” These schools meet prescribed standards with respect to equipment, facilities, personnel, and curriculum and are reviewed annually by the FAA to ensure quality training.”

One of the many advantages to flying with CSA (a certificated Part 141 School), over a Part 61 school or individual instructor, is that fewer flight hours are required to qualify for a pilot certificate. The requirement for a private pilot certificate is 40 hours in a Part 61 school and only 35 hours in a Part 141 certificated school. This is also true for your additional ratings and certificates. For instance, if you are training with CSA, you do not need to log the additional 50 hours of cross country time needed for the Instrument Rating under part 61. This can save you over $6,000 in training costs in just on one rating! For professional pilot students, you can complete you commercial license in just 180 hours, versus 250 for Part 61 schools: a difference of at least $8,000!